> E-Mate
       > Shaping Up for the Exams
       > A Must-Read Guide for New Students
       > Improving Your English
       > Planning Your University Study
       > Saving Money
       > Getting a Job
       > Custom Matters
       > Thinking About Postgraduate Study?
       > Hands Up For Volunteering
       > The New Academic Culture
       > First Time Students
       > My Summer Holiday
       > Overseas Student Health Cover
   > Student Q and A
       > Living In Australia
       > Studying in Australia
       > Working in Australia
       > Info About Australia
       > Jobs and Employment
       > Search Engines
       > News and Current Affairs
       > Social and Entertainment
       > Sports
       > Travel

Working in Australia

Q1: Am I eligible to work in Australia?
A: You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course in not in session.

However, for you to start working in Australia,  you will need a Tax File Number so that your employer can deduct your tax payment accordingly.

Q2: How I can apply for a work permit visa?
A: People granted student visas on or after 26 April 2008 will receive permission to work with their visa grant. As a result, most student visa holders will no longer need to apply separately in Australia for permission to work.

Now student visa holders will pay only one charge of $556 for the combined visa application and permission to work. The new arrangement will save student visa holders time and money.

Q3: What is a Tax File Number (TFN) and how can I apply for one?
A: A tax file number (TFN) is useful as in most circumstances, you would need to provide it to your employer if you find a job. Even if you don't work, you would also find a TFN useful when opening a bank account. If you need assistance, ACIC can help you apply for a TFN. 

Q4: Where can I find a part-time job?
A: To look for a part-time job, the best place to look is in the newspaper (e.g., Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday and Saturday) and online (e.g., seek.com.au). Alternatively, you can try going to job agencies or your school's career website. There are always many opportunities for part-time work.